Wednesday, July 17, 2013

My Top 10 for the day

It's been 2 weeks and 2 days since Brysen was born. That first week is always such a challenge, whether it is your first baby or your 5th. This time around, since I had a more difficult delivery than in the past, I came home from the hospital tired, sore, and aching in places I never thought would ache. Then my milk came in, and I was even more sore with the engorgement. Fortunately, that is now mostly under control. Baby Bryce is a really good baby. He is a good nurser, which has helped me to regulate my milk supply, and he sleeps a lot. Even at night, I can usually get at least one 3-4 hour stretch of sleep in before he wakes up to eat, then most nights he will go back to sleep for a few more hours. Since he eats so well, he has already gained back the half pound he lost in the hospital, plus some. His birth weight was 8 lbs 13 oz. His discharge weight was 8 lbs 5 oz. His 2-week appointment was yesterday, and his weight was 9 lbs 2 oz, and he has grown 2 inches! The bump on his head from the vacuum suction which was used to help him be born is gone now too. I'm glad- it looked like he had a big goose egg on his head.

So, here are my Top 10 for the day:
1- Having babies is hard. From the beginning of pregnancy to the recovery of delivery- it's hard. (Then again, maybe I am just getting old.) But it's worth it, too.
2- Breastfeeding hurts. Period.
3- Newborn babies who curl up in your arms or on your chest and sleep- priceless! Being able to sleep while said newborn is also sleeping- even more priceless!
4- Husbands who are willing to help with the newborn, and with the other kids, are heaven-sent! I'm so glad I've got one.
5- People who kindly tell me how great I look for just having a baby are awesome. If you've been there / done that, you know that you don't feel like you look all that great the first few weeks, or even months, after having a baby. So when someone tells me I look awesome... I feel awesome for a moment. And then I avoid looking in the mirror.
6- Wearing maternity clothes AFTER the baby is born is not fun. I've been wearing those clothes for months and am sick of them, and just want to wear my regular clothes again... and look normal in them.
7- Sitting on hard benches (like in the Dining Hall) is not fun. But- at least I can lean close to the table, and eat without spilling food all over my belly!
8- I love Aspen Grove in the summertime. Cooler weather, beautiful mountains,
meals provided, kids attending Age Group, BYU Ice Cream in the store. Love!!
9- Getting a chance to take a shower, comb my hair, and put some make up on during the day makes all the difference in the world for how I feel that day.
10- I have 4 kids now! Technically, 5. That is a lot of kids- I love every one of them so much and am so happy to be a Mom, even if I am sore & tired :)

1 comment:

The Perry Family said...

So happy to see pictures of Bryce! What a cutie he is!!!! Hooray that all is going well and that you are adjusting to life with a full house. :) Can't wait until we can meet him..... luvs!